Friday, October 8, 2010

Bokkie hou my vas!





Day 5

Afrikaans pop music - a subculture of its own. What is it with the Afrikaans pop music crowd's style that make many people shudder or just laugh, or alternatively melt in admiration? The men wear flipped-up collar t-shirts or silky shirts, dark jeans, Bronx shoes with a silver plate on the heel, ooh and don't forget the 10kg overweight. And what do they drink? Brandy and coke, maybe castle beer.. libido shots. The girls are dressed in skimpy clothing, 'worn' jeans decorated with diamante studs, push-up bras and stripper heels. But wait.. that's not quite it. The nails have to be artificial, very long and painted red, fake eye-lashes and hair-extensions are very sexy and the make-up... that is very important! A generous amount of base is required, shiny eyeshadow, prominent eye-liner and layers of mascara- the final touch of course, would be lip gloss and glitter around the eyes for that dazzling effect. I suppose these people want to look as close as possible to the Hollywood red carpet stars but somehow have just created their own world in that. Make no mistake, Afrikaans music is the world fastest growing industry, and that is definitely something to be proud of. I am an bilingual Cape Townian girl who went to an Afrikaans school so yes, naturally i am exposed to their music which does not stimulate me at all but I have to admit that I really enjoy myself while participating in a 'langarm' dancing session every now and then. The music is catching and the dancing is fun evry now and then. Even my English friend who could not believe the Afrikaans bar I took her to a couple of weeks ended up having a massive jol. Local is lekker- even if its a bit 'kommen' as they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment