Sunday, October 10, 2010

Kinderwhore













Day 6

First of all... Apologies that I'm only posting this blog now. I went to Langebaan this weekend, a small town on the West Coast, and when I went out to the internet café on Saturday at 16h00, it was closed, not only the one I knew, but all 3 in and around the town. I also forgot my camera at home which is why I don't have an photograph of myself.

To be honest, it's the name that interested me. Kinderwhore is a 'look' female American punk-rock stars went for in the early-mid 90s. It consisted of torn, ripped, very tight or low-cut babydoll dresses or nighties, heavy makeup, untidy hair and leather boots or Mary Jane (school) shoes (wikipedia, 2010).

The kinderwhore makeup principle is: more is more. Punk-rock stars such as Courtney Love (right-hand-side image) from Hole and Christina Amphlett (left-hand-side image) of Divinyls have been said to be the ones who made this style fashionable (Enjoy Your Style, 2009-2010).

Wake boarding with heavy make-up felt quite unnatural, and after I fell trying out a directional kite-surfing board behind the boat and came up from the water, the eyeliner and mascara had run down my face.. a definite punk-rock sweat kinderwhore look! I cannot share too much of a general public's opinion as I spent most of the day with my dad, brother and a couple of good friends, who didn't say much as they have gotten used to my project. The people in the Langebaan mall didn't really look twice as I could have been a Patricia Lewis 'poppie' for all they knew. All I can say is that I felt very 'out' riding on the boat across the lagoon in my bikini and beach dress with a pore-clogged and redder than red lips.

References:

Enjoy Your Style, 2009-2010, Kinderwhore Makeup, Retrieved 10 October 2010 from http://www.enjoy-your-style.com/kinderwhore-makeup.html

Wikipedia, 2010, Kinderwhore, Retrieved 10 October 2010 from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinderwhore

No comments:

Post a Comment